Sunday, January 24, 2010

Spicy Chorizo Chili

After church today we were both craving something warm and soothing from Panera. But I always have a hard time choosing to go somewhere and pay $5 for a bowl of soup that I could make at home...and a whole pot for that same price! So I set to work developing something that suited our mood. And, well, chili always suits my mood. :D I wanted to use the hot Mexican Chorizo I purchased at Aldi this last week and knew it would work well in a spicy chili. The results were perfect (despite the fact that I burned myself on splattering hot oil.)

Ingredients
1/2 pound chorizo, hot or mild
1/4 pound ground beef (I used 90/10)
1 whole medium onion, chopped
1 whole green pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup corn (I used frozen, could drain off canned corn)
1 (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 (4 oz) can tomato sauce
1-2 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
crushed red pepper, sprinkle with discretion

Heat a heavy bottomed 5-6 qt pot to medium. Remove the chorizo from the casing and combine it with the ground beef. Cook through thoroughly. Drain off fat, if desired. Return to pot. Add in onions, green peppers and garlic. Stir in corn. Stir occasionally and cook until vegetables are softened. Stir in kidney beans, black beans, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce water and spices. Add desired amount of water (to yield desired thickness/consistency). Bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes to 1 hour.

Top with sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, etc.

1 comment:

  1. That looks awesome! I'm definitely going to bookmark this for future use! Awesome blog :)

    ReplyDelete