Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Chicken-Tortilla Soup



This was a recipe I had copied from a friend's Southern Living's Slow Cooker Cookbook. I was in the mood for soup. Something hearty. But flavorful. Nutritous. and of course Delicious. I believe this hit the nail on the head. I messed around with some of the ingredient quantities (most changes are noted in parentheses), as per usual--namely the chili powder which added lots of zing!
Kevin gave this a two thumbs up and definitely wants it again sometime soon!

Ingredients
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cube
1 (10 oz) package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed (I used a little over 1 cup and left it frozen)
1 large onion, chopped
2-4 cloves garlic, minced/pressed
2 (14 oz) cans chicken broth (I used 2 chicken bouillon cubes to yield 16 oz, I liked the thicker consistency, though I totally "messed up" on accident.)
1 (10 3/4 oz) can tomato puree (I used a 10 oz can of tomato sauce)
1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (my can was 14.5oz)
3/4 tsp salt (optional, as the broth adds lots of sodium)
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp (or more!) chili powder
1/8 tsp (or more! to taste) ground or crushed red pepper
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf (I'd say this is optional as well, considering I didn't have a bay leaf to add in.)
---
Garnish:
4 (5.5 inch) corn tortillas
Fresh Cilantro
Sour Cream

Combine first 13 ingredients in a 4 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high 6 hours. Remove and discard bay leaf.

Cut tortillas into 1/4 inch wide strips; place on lightly greased baking sheet. Baked at 375 for 5 minutes. Stir strips. Bake 5 minutes more or until crisp. Serve with soup and garnish as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment