Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Jambalaya



As Kevin and I were out shopping Monday and he saw a box of Jambalaya. He goes through these craving moments that pass quickly, but I thought he was on to something. I wasn't about to pay for some sodium laden box of Jambalaya mix so I decided to make my own.

I came up with this based on my memory of the limited experiences I've had with the Creole mainstay meal. We were both thrilled with the outcome and hope you will be too!

Ingredients
2-5" sausages, sliced to 1/4"
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced
1 can diced tomatoes (with green chilis, if desired)
1/2 can tomato sauce
Cumin
Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
3 cups long grain rice, cooked

Cook rice.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet to medium high heat. Pan is hot enough when a sprinkle of water sizzles. Place sliced sausage into the pan and let them develop their color. Do not turn for at least 4 minutes. Meanwhile, add in garlic, onions and peppers. Flip sausages once they have a deep brown color developed. Repeat the browning process. Once veggies are softened and sausage is fully browned stir in diced tomatoes (do NOT drain) and tomato sauce (up to a full can depending on desired consistency). Sprinkle with desired amount of cumin and jerk seasoning.

Stir in cooked rice and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment