Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Lemon Sugar Cookies

IMG_7083

I can't believe I had completely forgotten about the deliciousness that is a Lemon Sugar Cookie. When I saw Maria of Two Peas and Their Pod post a recipe, I knew it was next on my to-bake list. 

As soon as the first batch came out of the oven, these cookies brought back so many memories of being in the kitchen as a young girl. I think my mom and I used to make these together. :)

The beautiful color and the fresh lemon flavor of these cookies is perfect for the warmth of summer!

IMG_7082



Lemon Sugar Cookies 
recipe adapted from twopeasandtheirpod.com
Makes 3 dozen cookies

Ingredients
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
Zest of 2 large lemons
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)
2-3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar for rolling cookies

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Using a mixer, beat together butter, shortening, and sugar until smooth and creamy. Add lemon zest, egg, vanilla extract, and lemon juice. Mix until combined. 

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually blend the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture.

Roll rounded tablespoons of dough into balls and roll in sugar. Place on baking sheets,  about 1-1/2 inches apart.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are slightly brown around the edges and set. Let cookies sit on the baking sheets for two minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

*To keep cookies soft, store cookies with a slice of bread in an air tight container.


---

3 comments:

  1. Lovely cookies! I am a huge fan of lemon anything, so these really appeal to me. A great summer afternoon snacking cookie. Nice to meet you over at TK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My great grandma added lemon zest to her sugar cookies. I still make them every Christmas. They are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say - I'm making these cookies right now (I came on here to double check that I wrote down the recipe correctly) - and the dough is DELISH! OMG, the smell of the vanilla and lemon mixing together - I thought I was going to go into a coma ... love love love.

    ReplyDelete