Friday, May 27, 2011

Baked Egg Rolls

IMG_7059

Kevin is constantly asking to go out for Chinese food. I rarely give in because a) it's a bit pricey. b) it's really unhealthy. c) I feel fat when I'm done. d) I secretly love Chinese but try to restrain my desires. 

I'd been wanting to try my hand at homemade egg rolls ever since I saw Annie post these two recipes. Unfortunately, none of our grocery stores seemed to carry the wrappers. But then, in a moment of brilliance, our local farm market had a pile of egg roll wrappers for sale! YES! I snatched up a package along with shredded cabbage, and started preparing the recipe. 

These turned out to be delicious and the baking versus frying aspect totally won me over! 

IMG_7067

Baked Egg Rolls 
serves 2-6

Ingredients
6 egg roll wrapper
canola oil
1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, shredded
3 cups cabbage, shredded
3 cloves garlic, minced/grated
3-4 Tbsp low sodium soy sodium 

Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. 

Heat a large skillet to medium and drizzle with canola oil. Cook chopped chicken 5-6 minutes. Add in celery and onion and saute until softened. Add in carrots, cabbage, and garlic. Stir. Cover pan and let cook 2-3 minutes. Stir in soy sauce. Cook another 2-3 minutes. 

With dry hands lay out egg roll wrappers on a flat, clean surface. Place a heaping quarter-cup-full of the filling into the center of the wrapper. Fold over one of the corners, tuck and roll slightly. Fold two side corners to the center. Finish rolling. Dampen the final corner with water and gently press to seal. Place fold-side down on a baking sheet. 

Bake egg rolls 10 minutes then turn over. Bake another 10 minutes. Serve with soy sauce or teriyaki sauce.  


----
subscribe and/or facebook the recipes. 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE chinese food...way too much. Hence why I always try to make it at home and reserve those greasy trips for things I absolutely know I can't make myself.

    These look great, I am definitely going to make these and chock them full of veggies! I love the shredded cabbage in them, I never think to add that to my chinese dishes and it is a total must-have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO making these soon! My hubby LOVES Chinese and I could take it or leave it. These would be a fun surprise for him! I actually love these, too. But every time he suggests eating Chinese out, I am so indifferent and we usually choose another route:)

    ReplyDelete