Monday, August 20, 2012

Monster Cookies Recipe

IMG_0113

By definition, Monster Cookies are, well monstrous. They're supposed to be huge, and also filled with every delicious ingredient you can dream up. I am thinking you could easily substitute half of the M&Ms and/or chocolate chips for another type of bite sized or chopped candy bar, raisins, coconut, chopped nuts, peanut butter or white or dark or butterscotch chips, etc. That's the beauty of the Monster Cookie. 

Now, by nature, I am a more defined, cautious type of person so Monster Cookies go against my neat-and-tidy personality (also, because the regular sized recipe calls for a pound of butter. This recipe is quartered if you can believe it!) But I managed to merge my two loves--love of chocolate and peanut butter with love of organization. I didn't have any other special chocolates or candy on hand, so I substituted more chocolate chips for the M&Ms and instead of "monstrous" sized cookies, I used my typical cookie scoop and was happy with that.

But you do what you want. You can't go wrong with these. They're amazingly chewy and gooey, sweet and thick. Just how a monster would want his cookies to be.

*oh! and these are flour-free--a big bonus for all of my GLUTEN FREE friends out there!

Monster Cookies Recipe 
recipe adapted from Sheryl 
Makes 4 dozen not-quite-monster-sized cookies

Ingredients
3 eggs
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp corn syrup
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter
12 oz (1-1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp) peanut butter
4-1/2 cups oatmeal
1 cup M&Ms
1 cup chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, cream together eggs, brown sugar, sugar, vanilla, corn syrup, salt, baking soda, and butter. Once evenly combined, stir in peanut butter. Then add in oatmeal. Stirring thoroughly. Mix in M&Ms and chocolate chips.

Drop dough onto a cookie sheet in large tablespoonfuls or use a cookie scoop. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until edges are lightly browned and center is mostly set. Cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. 


2 comments:

  1. This is great! I had never seen a gluten free monster cookie recipe before. I'm always looking for new GF recipes to try for my mom who's totally gluten free now. Still haven't quite conquered all the different flours and binders, but this? This I can handle!

    ReplyDelete