Thursday, August 23, 2012

Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe

IMG_1579

In my zucchini abundance, I was able to find the perfect recipe to soothe my "it's rainy out and I really feel like baking" urge. This recipe from Tasty Kitchen is out of this world amazing! I'm not a great cake baker--they tend to turn out too dry or too boring or too flat. But this recipe is spot on! and uber simple! 

The original recipe included a delicious-looking frosting, but I opted to sprinkle the cake with powdered sugar. I'm convinced no one minded! Each piece was amazingly moist and wonderfully chocolately! I brought the lovely tube cake to a get-together with 2 of my friends and their gaggle of children, and everyone devoured their pieces. I barely got to take a slice home for my husband (who always proclaimed it's praises!)  One of the 8 year old boys even said, "This cake is AMAZING!"

IMG_1584

See? I told you it was a winner!


Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe
recipe adapted from Tasty Kitchen

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1-3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
2-1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup chocolate chips 

Directions

*to sour the milk, add 1 Tbsp lemon juice to milk. Stir and let stand for 5 minutes. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt or tube pan. 

In a large bowl, cream together butter, oil, and sugar. Add in eggs, vanilla, and milk and beat until evenly combined. Sprinkle in the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon and stir on low until all of the dry ingredients have been incorporated. Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips.

Pour batter into a lightly greased bundt pan (or two 8″ cake pans or a 9×13″ pan) and bake for 55-60 minutes (reduce time for other pans), or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Cool in pan for a few minutes before running knife around the edge to loosen. Remove to a rack to cool completely.



No comments:

Post a Comment