Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Gingersnaps

396

I have always always always loved gingersnaps. You know the know the old fashioned kind you could buy in a bag at your local grocery store? The kind my grandma used to keep in her pantry, perfect for dipping in her daily cup of tea. I loved those crunchy cookies something fierce. The flavor of the molasses and spices was spot on, but that crispness was really something special. 

I've made Spicy Molasses Cookies many many times and it is by far my favorite molasses cookie recipe. But the thing is, those are amazingly soft, chewy cookies. I wanted crunchy

I did some internet scouring and discovered the secret--a longer baking time. That's it! I could use my same trusty recipe and just bake them longer! Genius! 

These cookies turned out exactly like I imagined! For the crunchy cookie lovers in your life, this is your recipe! 


Gingersnaps
recipe by adorkablerecipes.blogspot.com (originally adapted from thepioneerwoman.com)
makes 3 dozen cookies

Ingredients
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp cardamom
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
extra sugar for coating

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

In a large bowl, beat together shortening, sugar, molasses and egg. In a second bowl combine dry ingredients with a whisk. Stir the dry mixture into the creamed ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined. 

Scoop out dough by the tablespoon and roll into sugar. Place on a cookie sheet, 1-2 inches apart. 

Bake for 12-14 minutes. Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes on the pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Note: The longer baking time achieves the crispy, crunchy characteristic of the true gingersnap. 

---

No comments:

Post a Comment