Wednesday, February 17, 2010

[Mel's Original] Buttermilk Banana Bread

IMG_4125

note added February 10, 2011. Here it is almost a year later, and I've finally added a photo. You're welcome. :)

I apologize. There are no pictures to accompany this recipe. Yet. We may or may not have devoured both loaves before pictures were even considered. That said, this recipe is my favorite ever. And I actually created it. Yay!



Ingredients
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk*
3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2-1/4 cup flour


* buttermilk can be mimicked by adding 1/2 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice to milk to equal 1/2 cup. Let set at room temperature at least 5 minutes.

Directions
In a large bowl, mix together sugar and oil until combined. In separate bowl, mash bananas. Add bananas, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla to sugar/oil mixture and stir thoroughly.

In separate bowl wisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Add to wet ingredients and stir until just combined.

Grease the sides and bottom of two (2) 9x5" loaf pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the creative recipe making! I know I always feel a little spark of pride when a recipe I make up actually turns out well. As for the lack of photos, this happens to me all the time. Chock it up to bread so yummy that it was scarfed down before the camera could even squiggle out of it's case.

    ReplyDelete