Friday, November 20, 2009

Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Treats





Most everyone (or at least most kids) love a good Rice Krispie Treat. I know I do. I've made a couple pans before but struggled to get the right consistency. It probably had something to do with the age of my marshmallows, honestly. :) This batch turned out just right! And if you love peanut butter as much as I do, definitely go with "option 2"--1 Tbsp butter and 1/3 cup peanut butter. I forgot I wanted to add the peanut butter, so I have a bit more "fat" added to mine than is necessary, but I'm ok with that. They're still delicious little buggers. (After serving these peanut butter krispies tonight to teens and twenty-somethings the verdict is: these things rock!)

This particular recipe is a combination of the Kellogg's Rice Krispie Treat recipe and a recipe from Cooking Light Cookbook.


Ingredients
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- OR- 1 Tbsp butter and 1/3 cup peanut butter
1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows
- OR - 4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies® 9r other puffed rice

In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
Add Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
Using buttered spatula or wax paper or greased hands evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares. Best if served the same day.

MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS:
In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 and 3 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.


No comments:

Post a Comment