Friday, June 12, 2009

Ghirardelli Chocolate Chip Cookies


I came upon this recipe in Kevin's mom's recipe box. It was the summer of 2006 when Kevin was working on the campus of the State University of New York on Long Island. Missing him as I was, I spent an afternoon at the Eccles' home coming up with a care package for him--including a big container of these freshly baked cookies! I absolutely loved this recipe and it was my "go-to" chocolate chip cookie for quite a while. Since we got married I haven't pulled this recipe out of my files mostly because Kevin's absolute favorite are these.

The major difference between that recipe and this one (and most others) is the combination of shortening and margarine versus the strict use of butter. Some swear by the first, other's wouldn't dream of using anything but real butter. Personally, I love either. I like the idea of being a purist, but with raving reviews about the "perfect" recipe which is half and half, I'm not sure I can pick a side. Kevin would be perfectly content, I believe, if I never tried another chocolate chip cookie recipe. I, on the other hand, will not rest until I have tried every "famed" recipe out there. Or....maybe just as many as I can. :)

Ingredients
2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2-2 cups Ghirardelli chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts, optional

Directions
Mix flour, baking soda and salt. Cream softened butter with sugars, eggs, and vanilla. Blend dry mixture into the creamed mixture. Add chips and nuts.

Bake on ungreased baking sheet at 375 for 9-11 minutes, or until the edges are just golden brown. Allow cookies to set up for 1-2 minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a wire rack for cooling.

Yields: 3 1/2 dozen



No comments:

Post a Comment