Monday, September 12, 2011

Refried Beans Recipe {from dry pintos}

IMG_0479

I have become a big fan of refried beans--especially now that Kevin and I have, what we call, "Mexican fiesta" at least once a week. I make a quick batch of pico de gallo and guacamole. We doctor up a can of refried beans. He grabs the chips and sour cream. And we're off to deliciousness!

After tasting homemade refried beans made by my authentically Mexican friend, I knew I needed to try to make my own. I had no idea they were made with pinto beans, but once I discovered this, I thought why not try them from dry beans--cheaper and bit a more gratifying. Yes, the process takes a little longer, but if I used my crockpot, there would be hardly any work to do. I'll try that next time!

This bowl of beans makes a perfect dip, an appetizer for your next party, or a side dish to Mexican meal!

IMG_0488

Refried Beans Recipe {from dry pintos}
Serves 6-8

Ingredients
1/2 pound dried pinto beans
canola oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 jalapeno, finely chopped (seeded to remove heat)
1/2 tsp cumin
salt
pepper

Directions
Drain and rinse beans until water runs clean. Be sure to remove any small stones that may have sneaked their way into the package.

In a large sauce pan or stock pot, combine beans and 3 cups water. Bring to boil. Boil for 2 minutes, then simmer for 2-3 hours, or until beans are completely cooked. 

Drain beans. 

While the beans are draining, in the bottom of the stock pot, drizzle canola oil and heat over medium. Saute garlic and jalapeno until softened. Add beans to the pot. Stir in cumin, salt and pepper. Mash beans until desired consistency is reached. 

Serve warm, as a side or as a dip. 


No comments:

Post a Comment