Saturday, June 11, 2011

Sandwich Buns (a la Bread Maker)

IMG_7511

I am a loyal fan of the Light Brioche Buns recipe from Annie, but on the day I decided to make these delicious Homemade Sloppy Joes for our small group to share, I didn't have the time. I opted for a bread-maker alternative, and I'm SO glad I did. Having this little number in my recipe arsenal is a good thing. 

I adapted my bread machine manual's recipe for Dinner Rolls into this sandwich bun recipe and they turned out delicious--a beautiful crust, soft and slightly sweet interior, and the sturdiness necessary to hold up to the Sloppy Joe (or any sandwich of choice.) I real winner!

Sandwich Buns (a la Bread Maker)
recipe adapted from Sunbeam Bread Maker Manual
Makes 12-15 buns

Ingredients
1 cup water
2 Tbsp oil or softened butter
1 egg
3-1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
3 tsp dry active yeast

Directions
Place all ingredients in bread pan according to manufacturer's instructions. Select the "dough" cycle. 

Once the dough is completed, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. 

Grease a cookie sheet. Divide dough into 12-15 equal pieces. Shape into a slightly flattened sphere, smaller than desired final size. Dough will expand. Place buns 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet. Spray with non-stick cooking spray or brush with butter or egg wash, if desired. Cover with a lightweight towel and let rise 30 minutes, until nearly double.  

Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. 

1 comment:

  1. Ok, 2 T. Of honey (to compensate for the whole wheat pastry flour i used)was too much liquid and I think I need new yeast because they didn't rise very much, but I'm still in love with these rolls!! They made terrific pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches:)

    ReplyDelete