Monday, March 7, 2011

Sweet Heat Chili (Slow Cooker)

IMG_5061

When I came across this recipe on Mel's Kitchen Cafe, I immediately wanted to try it. Normally, when it comes to chili, I totally wing it and end up with a new recipe each time. I LOVE it. But there was something special, something unique about this recipe, so I did my best to follow it to a T. I love the wide array of vegetables in this chili. I think that's my favorite part of this recipe. It's not just meat, beans, and tomatoes

The only changes I made to the original recipe (besides slow cooking rather than stove-topping it) were roasted red peppers for sundried tomatoes (as I didn't have any) and I added jalapeños--making my chili a bit heavier on the "heat" than the "sweet" side of things. . It was still really delicious, and we're super excited to have leftovers. Chili just gets better with time. 

IMG_5072


Sweet Heat Chili
recipe adapted from melskitchencafe.com
Serves 8-10

Ingredients
1 medium onion, diced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 to 1 lb ground meat
4 cups beef stock
2 cans (28 oz. each) whole stewed tomatoes
1- 14oz can kidney red beans, drained and rinsed
1- 14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced 
3 bay leaves
1 tsp dry mustard
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika 
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt to taste


Directions
Heat a medium skillet over medium low heat and brown the ground meat. Drain and rinse off excess fat.
Pour the cans of stewed tomatoes into a food processor and pulse a few times to desired consistency. 

Combine all ingredients into a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker and cook on low 6-8 hours, or on high 4 hours. 

Serve with a dollop of sour cream. 

----
Don't miss a recipe! Subscribe.

4 comments:

  1. That really does look like a unique chili. It sounds wonderful and I love anything I can cook in my crockpot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely give it a try, Meg! It's delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a dish, chili is awesomeand very spicy .My brother loves it very much. in other words he is mad for it.i will surely prepare it for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! how spicy it is! After reading your blog now i just want to try it as soon as possible. love to have your chili recipe .

    ReplyDelete