Monday, February 14, 2011

Italian Pizzelles

IMG_4234


Fact. I am one fourth (1/4) Italian.
Fact. You would never know it aside from the foods I make and eat and the way I do so. 
Fact. My dad's family is very Italian. 
Fact. I grew up in a town where at least half of the population is Italian.
Fact. I never knew the quirks of my life and my town and my family were quirks until I moved away. 

Ok, now that you have the facts, I would like to introduce to a cookie that is a staple for Italian families and Italian towns. These tasty, light, crispy waffle cookies are in every grocery store and in a tin on the counter of every Italian family. That's just the way it is, and frankly, I like it that way. 

I give you the Pizzelle
(prounced with a "tz" as in "pizza." It's pitzelle not pizzzzzelle.)

IMG_4233

Italian Pizzelles
recipe adapted from Cuisinart Pizzelle Press recipe book
Yields: 36-40 pizzelles

Ingredients
1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
3 large eggs
3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 Tbsp vanilla or anise extract (or combination)


Directions
Preheat the pizzelle press. 

In a small bowl, stir together flour and baking powder. Place eggs and sugar in a medium bowl and mix together on medium speed for 1 minute, until thickened. On low speed, add the melted butter and the extract in a steady stream. Mix until combined. Add the flour mixture and mix just until combined (about 10-15 seconds)--do not overmix.

If necessary, lightly grease the top and bottom girds of the pizzelle press. Use a 1 Tbsp cookie scoop (or spoon) to drop dough onto one of the grids and then the other. (Dough should be dropped just slightly above center.) Close and lock the lid (you will need to press down to do this.) Bake 1 to 2 minutes or according to manufacturer's directions. 

Pizzelle is cooked when it is very lightly browned. Cookie will still be soft and pliable.
Remove pizzelle from the press using a heat-safe plastic spatula and place on a cooling rack to cool completely. 

Additionally:
  • Warm pizzelle may be wrapped around a thick dowel to form cannoli shells or wrapped around a waffle cone form. 
  • Cooled pizzelles maybe be dusted with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.


IMG_4213

IMG_4209

IMG_4226

IMG_4219

IMG_4227

Subscribe to my Recipe Feed and don't miss a post!

4 comments:

  1. I have eaten these things before..... didn't realize that they were Italian...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister as always loved these cookies and just raved about them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband's family is Italian, and my mother in law makes them every Christmas... Love them!!! I love to spread Nutella on them. Horrible - I know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh these remind me of being a kid! My great grandmother was Hungarian and made these exact cookies! Oh how I miss her.... And her delicious cookies

    ReplyDelete