Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Fresh Guacamole

First of all, I must apologize for the poor appearance of this guacamole. I misread the directions and mashed all of the ingredients together at the same time--resulting in smushed tomatoes throughout the beautiful green avocado (aka--not pretty.) 

IMG_4079

Besides the slight discoloration of this dip, the flavor is OUT OF THIS WORLD. I love the fresh ingredients, the purity of the combination, the ease of preparation. I would have loved to wait to post the recipe with a prettier appearance, but it's just too good to put off. 


Ingredients
2 ripe avocados (how to find the right avocado)
1 Tbsp lime juice
1/4 cup onion, minced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeño pepper, minced (seeded to lessen heat)
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
pepper, to taste
1/4 cup tomatoes, seeded and diced

Directions
Cut the avocados in half, remove the pit and scoop the flesh into a medium-size bowl. Using a fork or a potato masher, mash the avocados to the consistency that you desire. Mix in the lime juice, onion, garlic, jalapeño, chili powder, salt and pepper (not tomatoes!). Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking. Gently stir in the tomato.

If desired, you can garnish the guacamole with chopped fresh cilantro. If not serving immediately, cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic wrap against the dip, and refrigerate.

4 comments:

  1. I think that still looks delicious! I love guacamole, it reminds me of summer. I may just have to make some and pretend like it is warmer outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found out from a very reliable source that if you leave the avocado pit in the guacamole it stays green! It really works and slows down the oxidation.

    ReplyDelete