Monday, October 12, 2009

Mocha Cookies




I set out to bake my second batch of weekly church bake sale cookies and wanted something new. Something different. I had already made Oatmeal Butterscotch Chip cookies so I wanted a chipless cookie. I opened up my trusty Betty Crocker Cookbook and decided to try the Mocha Cookie recipe. I had all of the ingredients on hand, which is not always the case with unique recipes such as this. I was excited to get to use my friend Emily's gift of Dominican coffee grounds too!

These cookies are simple to make, but do require a little extra time and effort with the rolling and cutting (not my favorite thing.) I have not yet heard outside reviews of this cookie, but here are my thoughts. They are a thin, crunchy cookie with good coffee flavor. I believe they would be a perfect cookie to have with a hot drink. Also, I haven't topped them with the caramel drizzle which might make them perfect. Let me know if you try this topping!

Ingredients
1 large egg
2 Tbsp instant coffee crystals
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

for the caramel drizzle
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup caramel topping
1/4 tsp vanilla
~2 Tbsp milk

In medium book, beat egg and coffee crystals with mixer on medium speed until crystals dissolve. Add sugar, butter and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla. Beat on medium until light and fluffy. Stir in remaining cookie ingredients. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour until chilled.

Heat oven to 375. Roll dough 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured surface. Cut with 2 1/2 inch cookie cutters. On ungreased cookie sheet, place dough 1 inch apart. Bake about 7 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely; about 30 minutes.

In small bowl, mix powdered sugar, caramel topping and vanilla until crumbly. Stir in just enough milk until smooth and thin enough to drizzle over cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment