Friday, July 10, 2009

Better than Your Average Oatmeal

Personally, I hated oatmeal for my entire childhood. My sister loved the instant stuff --especially strawberries and cream--but I just couldn't stomach the texture. In college I gave oatmeal another shot to impress me and I began to enjoy the Dining Common's extra thick oatmeal with loads of brown sugar. I was soon hooked on Maple and Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal and then decided to try the plain instant oats out of a desire to save money. I loved that stuff with brown sugar and the occasional scoop of peanut butter. Recently I have become obsessed with the Old Fashioned Oats and buy them in bulk from good ol' Sam's Club. Cooking oats on the stovetop increases their irresistible factor by a million. I thought I would share with you one of my favorite and most frequent breakfasts--not to mention healthy & filling! I hope you enjoy!



1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oats
1 apple, chopped
1 tsp (or more) brown sugar
1/2 -1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup milk
5 almonds, chopped

In a 1 quart saucepan begin heating the water and milk over medium heat and add oats. Let the mixture begin to thicken as you chop the apples. Add brown sugar, cinnamon and apples and let oats start bubbling, stirring occasionally. Turn heat to low and remove when oatmeal reaches desired thickness (it will continue to thicken after being removed from heat).

Chop almonds with food chopper or by hand and toss on top of your delicious breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment