Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cornbread

I had never made cornbread without the Jiffy mix.  It just never occured to me to try it from scratch.  That was then.  This is now. :)  Not that I wouldn't use a mix ever again, but I'm glad I know how easy the from-scratch version is.  I hope you enjoy it!  Also, I've found a flour-free cornbread recipe that I plan on trying out and I'll let you know if it's any good.

1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups yellow, white or blue cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt


1.  Heat oven to 400 F. Grease bottom and side of 9 inch round or 8 inch square pan with cooking spray or shortening.
2.  In large bowl, beat milk, butter and egg with hand beater or wire whisk.  Stir in remaining ingredients all at once just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy).  Pour into plan.
3.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Serve warm if desired.  

I like it with butter.  Kevin loves honey.  Cornbread is perfect with chili or any soup!  

No comments:

Post a Comment