Saturday, August 27, 2011

Tuna Noodle Casserole

IMG_0329

Growing up Tuna Noodle Casserole was a regular on the weekly dinner menu. It wasn't at the bottom of my list of favorite meals (that would be Goulash), but it certainly wasn't anywhere near the top 10 (which would include chili, pork chops & potatoes, taco salad, round steak casserole, etc.)

I'm not sure if it was the avocado-green casserole dish mom used to bake this meal in, or if I really didn't love tuna, but whatever my aversion--I'm so over it. I had a bit of a hankering for her classic dish, but without the recipe on hand I needed to improvise. I found a can a tuna (I really love tuna in my old age!), egg noodles (Kevin seems to have a thing for egg noodles), and cream of mushroom soup. I figured those were the key ingredients. Feeling adventurous, I pulled out red onions, garlic, and broccoli and the resulting meal was de-double-licious. Kevin and I both went back for seconds--a rarity for me! 

Think of your classic Tuna Noodle Casserole, take out the extreme amount of cheese (trust me on this, it'll be ok, I promise!), add funky herbs and vegetables, top with buttery crackers and VOILA--dinner is served! 

Tuna Noodle Casserole
Serves 2-4

Ingredients
2-1/2 cups egg noodles
1-1/2 cup frozen broccoli

1-5 oz can chunk light tuna in water, drained
1-14 oz can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 can water
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 onion, diced
1/2 cup zucchini, chopped
pinch of thyme
salt
pepper
8 butter (Ritz) crackers, crumbled
cooking spray

Directions
Preheat the oven to 325. Coat the bottom of an 8x8 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. 

Using a 2 quart sauce pan, boil water and cook the egg noodles to al dente. 


Meanwhile, in a small bowl, microwave frozen broccoli according to packaged directions until stalks are crisp-tender. 

Drain cooked egg noodles, drain the broccoli and combine in the baking dish. Add in tuna, soup, water, garlic, onion, zucchini, thyme salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Distribute crushed crackers evenly across the top. Spray crumbs with cooking spray (this will aid the browning and crisping.)

Bake for 20-25 minutes, until thoroughly heated and zucchini is cooked to your liking. 



No comments:

Post a Comment