Friday, August 19, 2011

Summer Squash and Sausage

IMG_0061

When I received a few homegrown summer squash and zucchini from our neighbors, I knew I wanted to find new and creative ways of incorporating them into our meals. We didn't have much time before the first night of VBS, so I started chopping vegetables before I had any clear idea of the direction I was going. When the sausage came to mind, everything fell into place. 

This meal is simple, but so fresh and delicious. I can't wait to have it again soon!

Summer Squash and Sausage
Serves 2-4

Ingredients
2 fully cooked sausages, sliced
1/2 green pepper, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium summer squash, cut into cubes
1/2 tomato, diced
Canola oil
Salt
Pepper

Directions
Drizzle a large skillet with canola oil. Bring up to medium heat. Add sausage, pepper, onion and garlic. Let sit 3-4 minutes before stirring. Add in squash. Cook 3-4 more minutes. Stir. Add in tomato, salt and pepper.  Cook another 3-4 minutes. 

Serve warm, with grated Parmesan cheese if desired. 



1 comment:

  1. Hi Melanie,

    Sausage and zucchini go so well together-this recipe sounds like a great one.

    If you have any zucchini left, you might want to try this:

    http://bluebarnbulletin.blogspot.com/2008/07/honey-roasted-zucchini.html

    It is my absolute favorite way to prepare zucchini-and even my veggie-hesitant Allison gets excited when I make it.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete