Monday, December 20, 2010

Homemade Peanut Brittle

I was really intimidated by peanut brittle. Mostly because the first time I tried to make it, I failed miserably. The candy didn't reach the right temperature because I didn't have a candy thermometer, and I didn't know what the mixture was supposed to look like either. It was basically peanuts covered in syrup. Not cool.

IMG_2065

This Christmas I decided to conquer my fear--and I'm so glad I did. This recipe from Brown Eyed Baker is absolutely perfect. One person who tried this peanut brittle said it was exactly like his mom used to make--a HUGE compliment, considering this woman is one of the greatest cooks I know.


Homemade Peanut Brittle
Yield: About 1½ pounds

adapted from browneyedbaker.com

Ingredients
Nonstick cooking spray
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup water
½ cup light corn syrup
½ teaspoon coarse salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ teaspoon baking soda
3 cups salted dry-roasted peanuts (about 1 pound)

Directions
Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly coat with cooking spray; set aside.

In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, water, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a rapid simmer over medium-high and cook until candy thermometer reads 300 degrees F and the color is deep golden, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Stir in butter, baking soda, and peanuts (mixture will foam). Stir until mixture is no longer bubbling and caramel is smooth, 1 minute.

Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and spread with a lightly greased spatula. Let cool until firm, 15 minutes. Break into pieces. The brittle can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.

IMG_2073


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful!
    I made peanut brittle for the first time last week and too failed miserably!!!
    Mandy used to make it all the time. i think she has a secret easy way. I am going to ask her. but yes. It resulted in a similar fashion to your first try. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you experienced my failure--that's no fun! But don't give up!! It's SO worth it.

    ReplyDelete