Friday, December 24, 2010

Chocolate Covered Butter Toffee

If it weren't for Sara's request to purchase my peanut brittle and to see if I could make chocolate covered toffee, I never would have tried this recipe from Pioneer Woman. I am SO glad I did. Besides having my candy thermometer break part way through cooking (thus having to hold the thermometer into the mixture with my hand instead of the handy dandy clasp) and accidentally touching my index finger into the 295 degree toffee mixture as I spread it onto the pan, it was a success! 

IMG_2561

Candy making it much more of a science than cookie baking, but if you use your trusty candy thermometer, you should be just fine!  This stuff is absolutely incredible. It's one of those things I have to slap my own hand in order to stop grabbing for another piece. YUM! And perfect for gifting too! :)

IMG_2557

Toppings are optional, but I would HIGHLY recommend the sea salt on half of the batch. Next time, I'll be trying almond slivers. :)

Also, please be sure to read through the entire recipe once or twice and have all of your equipment and ingredients ready to go. Candy happens quickly (and as I learned the hard way, can be quite painful) if you're not prepared. Be sure to have TWO lined cookie sheets ready!

Chocolate Covered Butter Toffee
recipe adapted from thepioneerwoman.com
Prep Time: 10 Minutes  
Cook Time: 30 Minutes  
Yields: 3 pounds

Ingredients
1 pound (4 sticks) butter, Melted
2 cups sugar
3 fluid ounces water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
16 ounces, weight Chopped Topping: Toasted Nuts, Candy Canes, Sea Salt, Etc, optional
4 cups chocolate, melted (dark or combination of 3 cups semi-sweet and 1 cup unsweetened) (for coating)

Directions
*Necessary Equipment: Candy Thermometer*

Combine butter, sugar, water, and salt in a 3 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook over moderate heat, stirring gently, until candy thermometer registers 298 degrees.

In the meantime, create a double boiler to melt the chocolate. (Boil 2 inches of water in a 2 quart sauce pan and place a 2.5 quart glass mixing bowl on top--do not allow the water to touch the bottom of the bowl. Reduce heat to medium-high and stir occasionally with a wooden spoon.)

Remove butter toffee mixture from heat and stir in vanilla until well combined.

Pour the toffee mixture onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or good parchment paper. (You will need TWO cookie sheets!) Use a heatproof rubber spatula or offset spatula to spread quickly before the toffee sets. Spread thin--move quickly!!

Allow toffee to cool completely. Blot to remove excess oil from the surface. Coat surface with half of the melted chocolate and immediately sprinkle with topping.

When chocolate has totally set, carefully flip over (it’s okay if it falls apart a bit) and coat other side with the rest of the chocolate. Sprinkle on topping, if using. 

Allow to set, then break into bite-size pieces.
Store in an airtight container.

IMG_2565


4 comments:

  1. I love sea salt on sweets! Especially anything with chocolate. I am very impressed that you HELD the candy thermometer, that is a dangerous feat! Have a wonderful Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I know, right?! It was a dangerous treat to make--but quite worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm - this sounds tasty! :) I think I'll be trying this - I've been wanting to make toffee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good recipe, indeed. The first batch I made with Ghirardelli 60% chocolate, roasted pumpkin seeds and pink sea salt. The second batch was supposed to be with sea salt and crushed candy canes but my kitchen was too humid after heating up dinner in the oven. After two attempts and two failures to make that second batch (and lots of sandy brown buttery sugar saved for popcorn/ice cream topping) I realized my mistake. I will succeed in the a.m. on another try, I know! I thought I wouldn't have that trouble in the TX panhandle, but alas, me did. Not the recipe's fault, by any means. ;-)

    ReplyDelete