Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Hearty Tomato Soup

It was a cold, rainy, dreary day. I needed soup in a bad way. After much deliberation I decided tomato soup was the solution. I hunted and hunted for recipes, but didn't find the one to suit my needs. So, I did what I've become accustomed to doing--I made up my own recipe! 

STP65113
This is not quite your traditional creamy tomato soup. Actually, it's not like that at all. I plan to come up with that recipe sometime this winter. No, this tomato soup is in a different class altogether. It's got hearty chunks of tomatoes and has the flavor of a fantastic Italian marinara. Perfect for Kevin and me. I hope you enjoy it!

Ingredients
1 small onion, finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, washed and shredded
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp Italian seasoning
pinch of Thyme
pinch of Crushed Red Pepper flakes
1--28oz can whole tomatoes
1--46oz can tomato juice
1/2 cup milk or cream
Feta Cheese, optional
Parmesan, optional

Directions
Heat a 6 quart stock pot to medium. Drizzle with canola or extra virgin olive oil and dump in the onions, garlic, carrots and spices. Saute until softened and fragrant, stirring occasionally. Stir in the whole tomatoes and gently crush with a potato masher.  Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in tomato juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least one hour (the longer the better!) Stir in the milk or cream and cook until heated through. 

Serve with a sprinkle of feta and/or Parmesan cheese...and possibly a grilled cheese sandwich. 

STP65119

No comments:

Post a Comment