Friday, January 25, 2013

Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread Loaf Recipe

originally posted March 19, 2009

Ever since I made this loaf of bread (nearly 4 years ago!) my husband has been occasionally asking me to make it again. I give him my sincerest apologies (and I don't know what I was thinking waiting this long. This bread is AMAZING. So moist, but also light. And the flavor is perfect. Not too intense, but you can't resist it.)

IMG_4454

----

This recipe is from one of my Better Homes and Gardens cookbooks called Bread Machine Bounty. That title should tip you off right way. This recipe only has the ingredients listed and assumes you will allow the bread machine to do all the work. If you'd like to prepare it by hand, I can improvise those instructions for you by request.

The loaf turned out fairly small and mis-shapen which is exactly how Kevin likes it! (*note it turned out very different the second time. Not sure why, but round 2 was much better. moist, light, and high rising.)

IMG_4458

Jalapeno, Cheddar, and Cornbread Loaf
For a 1-1/2 Pound Loaf:

Ingredients
1-1/4 cup Buttermilk (this can be created by adding just under one tablespoon of vinegar to milk.)
2 tsp shortening
3 cups bread flour (all purpose worked fine for me.)
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese with jalapeno peppers or Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers. (I shredded colby cheese and just finely chopped up 4 of 5 jalapeno rings.)
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp active dry yeast or bread machine yeast

Directions
Add ingredients to machine according to manufacturer's directions.(Always add liquid ingredients first, then dry ingredients (should be floating on top of liquids), then make a small well in the dry ingredients and add yeast LAST--being sure the yeast never comes in contact with the liquids or it will be activated too soon.) Select desired cycle and bake. (If you're like me, select the dough cycle and roll out the dough. Let rise in a loaf pan until 1 inch above the edge. Bake 350 degrees for 22 minutes.)  Cool on wire rack at least 30 minutes before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment