Monday, January 17, 2011

Baked Penne Pasta with Sausage (Slow Cooker)

IMG_2803

I have never experimented with cooking pasta in the Crockpot, but tonight was the right time to try! I didn't really have a dinner plan (or even a dinner thought) until almost 3pm. My first piano student was arriving at 4pm, the last would leave around 5:35pm and we had to be at church for Bible quizzing at 5:50pm. Wow. We were both craving pasta and I wasn't sure how to accomplish a delicious, well-balanced pasta dinner without having to cook at 8pm--NOT my idea of a good time. (I'm a 5-6pm dinner type of person.) But I decided to give this a try. 

It worked--quite beautifully I might add. Kevin had two large bowls and I had MUCH more than I anticipated. I was really hungry and this baked pasta dish was just really delicious. I suggest you try it soon! Heck, you've gone nothing to lose. It takes about 5 and half minutes to prepare, and only 2-4 hours in the crockpot. Awesome!

IMG_2805

Ingredients
4 cups uncooked penne pasta 
2 cups pasta sauce
2 precooked sausages, thinly sliced
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced 
pinch of crushed red pepper
1/2 cup grated mozzarella or provolone cheese 
1/2-3/4 cup water 
Parmesan cheese, for sprinkling

Directions
Spray the bottom and edges of a 4 quart crockpot insert with non-stick cooking spray. 

Rinse pasta in a colander for added moisture. Pour pasta, sauce, sliced sausages, onion, garlic, crushed red pepper, cheese and water in the slow cooker. Stir thoroughly. Cook on low 4-5 hours (or on high for 2-3 hours).

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this today...it's in my crockpot right now. :) I had to use tri-colored pasta, though, I was out of penne. It's about the same size, so hopefully it will work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Some days you just CRAVE pasta and won't think of cooking anything else. I'm keeping this recipe for one of those days.

    ReplyDelete