Friday, March 12, 2010

Oatmeal Bread




While visiting my local library this week, I was browsing the recipe book section as per usual and stumbled upon  Betty Crocker's Best Bread Machine Cookbook.  This little baby is chock full of amazing recipes, providing nearly endless ways to enjoy the large kitchen appliance known as the bread machine.  Seriously.  You need to invest in one of these inventions.  Who doesn't love a loaf of freshly baked (in your own kitchen!) bread?!  


I needed to bake a loaf for the days to come as we finally finished up the store bought bread and so I asked Kevin if he had a preference as to the variety of bread.  He mentioned "oatmeal" and I found this recipe right away.  I made a few minor alterations which have been noted.  

This loaf turned out beautifully and is equally delicious!  Slather on some butter and you've got yourself a great snack, toast for your morning breakfast or use the slices to make the best sandwich you'll ever taste. 

Ingredients for a 1 1/2 pound loaf

1 1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp margarine or butter, softened
3 cups bread flour (OR 2 cups flour plus 1 cup whole wheat flour)
1/2 cup old fashioned or quick cooking oats
3 Tbsp packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp dry milk
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp bread machine or quick active dry yeast

Directions
Add ingredients to bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer.  (Always add liquid ingredients first, then dry ingredients (should be floating on top of liquids), then make a small well in the dry ingredients and add yeast LAST--being sure the yeast never comes in contact with the liquids or it will be activated too soon.) Select the Sweet or Basic/White cycle.  Use Light crust color option. Remove bread from pan and cool on wire rack.

Alternatively, select dough cycle.  When finished remove from pan and turn onto a lightly floured surface.  Roll out to a 9x12" rectangle. Roll dough tightly, pinching seams together after each turn.  Place in a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.  Let rise for 30 minutes or until doubled in size. Bake at 425 for 17 minutes.  Turn out of pan immediately and cool on a wire rack.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally going to have to try that! We have a bread machine, I don't use it near as often as I should/could though. I get allergies when I eat a lot of breads, I'm not sure if it's the yeast or the wheat. I just made a batch of caramel apple sticky buns, using a bread-machine dough. I posted photos on my Cowgirl blog, come check it out!

    ReplyDelete