Friday, April 24, 2009

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Muffins




One of my favorite finds from the SAFMC Rummage Sale in '07 was a 5" deep recipe box categorized and filled with Taste of Home recipe cards (all for $2.00!) I'm a bit skeptical when trying one of these recipes since a few of them have turned out...well...not so good. This one, however, is a real winner! The muffins (I made them in miniature form) are wonderfully moist and perfectly hearty and fantastically chocolately. Be sure to only fill the muffin tins 2/3 to 3/4 full or else the tops will be too tall and pointy and just plain awkward looking. (I speak from experience.)


1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened (I used butter)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup applesauce
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup (6oz) chocolate chips

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Combine dry ingredients; add alternately with applesauce to the creamed mixture. Stir in oats and chips. Fill greased or paper lined muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes (or 10 minutes for mini muffins).

Yield: 12 muffins (or 52 mini muffins)

1 comment:

  1. These muffins were amazing! I made them for a camping trip and they were a major hit. I will definitely be making these again. I used chunky applesauce to give them extra texture for my liking and they turned out great.

    ReplyDelete