Sunday, October 31, 2010

Bar Cookies: Peanut Butter Pretzel Chocolate Chip

STP64686

STP64693

Well, they are a hot commodity in these parts. People just can't get enough of their goodness. I'm so excited everyone loves them!
One my teens requested a cookie cake (bar cookies) of this cookie batter for her birthday. I excitedly obliged. 


I'm not sure I've ever made bar cookies. 
I had no idea what size pan to use or how long to cook them or how they'd turn out. 

But I made some random choices and they were the right ones!

These bars are SUPER EASY. I had them in the oven in 15 minutes flat! 

They baked up beautifully and taste delicious. 
I'm glad I hoarded a few for myself! :)
STP64685
Serves 24 
Ingredients
1/2 cup margarine, room temperature
(slightly less than) 1/2 cup shortening
(slightly more than) 1/4 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup crushed pretzels 
1-1/2 cups chocolate chips
2 squares candy coating/chocolate bark (or 1 cup chocolate chips)--for drizzling 

Directions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. 
Cream together margarine, shortening, peanut butter and both sugars. When light and fluffy and thoroughly combine, mix in one egg at a time. Then mix in vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Stir into creamed ingredients in 2 or 3 additions--just until thoroughly combined. Stir in pretzels and chocolate chips. 

Spoon into a jelly roll style baking sheet (15.25"x10.25" or a little larger.) Spread out evenly. 

Bake at 325 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and just crisping on the edges. The center might not look set. Let cool completely on a wire rack. 

Melt 2 bars of chocolate bark (candy coating) or 1 cup of chocolate chips. Drizzle over the top of the cooled cookie bars. Slice and enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. these look absolutely delicious! i cant wait to try to make them!! yummm

    ReplyDelete
  2. O my gosh I don't think I even have to tell you how amazing these look and sound!!! Wow...yum :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have often wondered how to do a chocolate covered pretzel cookie! Thank you. I am going to try these :)

    ReplyDelete