Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Lemon Squares



Kevin has been craving Lemon Bars for quite some time and I have been wanting to try out a recipe. I had never made them before so I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but I knew these bars were one of the best desserts. I'm sorry for neglecting you, Lemon Bars. This particular recipe which comes from the Betty Crocker Cookbook was easy to execute and quite tasty. However, I would like to find a recipe that results in a crust/base that is not quite so thick as well as a filling that is a bit more lemon-y (though I'm sure mine would have had greater lemon flavor had I had lemons on hand to zest). Kevin approved of this recipe--the crust (though we agreed it was too thick) is delicious and of course the filling is lovely. :)

Lemon Squares

1 cup flour
1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1-1/2 Tbsp grated lemon peel, if desired (This is almost essential I think!)
2 Tbsp lemon juice (or more if not using lemon peel)

Heat oven to 350. Mix flour, margarine and powdered sugar until well incorporated and crumbly. Press evenly into the bottom of an ungreased square pan 8x8x2 inches. Bake for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, beat remaining ingredients about 3 minutes on medium speed or until light and fluffy. Pour over hot crust. Bake about 25 minutes longer or just until imprint remains when touched lightly in center.

Cool.
Cut into 16 (!) squares.

We liked to keep this refrigerated, but I don't believe it needs to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment