Monday, June 8, 2009

Grandma Mary's Potato Salad


Though not a raving fan of potato salad (especially not of the store made variety), I have always loved my Grandma Mary's version. At many holidays my family requested this side dish and just last summer, I called up Grams and asked for her "secret." Apparently she cooks alot like I do as her measurements were only approximations, and I was ok with that. I tried out the recipe for the first time last week in preparation for our camping trip and I was really hoping I could come up with just the right ratios of potatoes, dressings, and spices so that my mayo-disliking husband might enjoy this dish along with me. I succeeded! Though my variety didn't look at all like Grandma's (mostly because I left the skins intact), it was hearty and not over dressed (or soggy or mushy). I hope you enjoy it and feel free to put your own spin on things to suit your tastes!

Serves 4-6

6-7 medium potatoes
5 eggs
~1 Cup Miracle Whip or mayonaise, thinned with milk
1 tsp yellow mustard
1/2 Cup chopped onions
Salt
Pepper
Paprika
celery, optional

Peel potatoes if desired. (I left the skins on mine. Why not? It's extra health benefits!) Cube potatoes and boil them until tender. (Do not over cook or the potatoes will turn mushy in the dressing.) Hard boil the eggs (=cover eggs with water and bring to a rolling boil. Simmer for 12-15 minutes then run cold water over them. Peel off shells once they are cooled and chop.)

In a small bowl combine the (thinned) mayo with the mustard. In a large bowl combine potatoes, eggs, onions, salt, pepper, paprika, and celery. Add the dressing and fold the mixture together with a gentle hand so as to not break the potatoes down.


1 comment:

  1. and this one too! for the July 4th party... except does it still have the peelings on it...cuz if so I'd like to special request mine without the peelings!

    ReplyDelete