Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Barbecue Pulled Venison Recipe

IMG_7976

Kevin and I were both craving barbecue pulled pork. Unfortunately, our freezer was fresh out of any suitable meat. That is, until a crazy idea popped into my head. What if I used that venison stew meat? Would that be any good? Would it ruin the meat? I wouldn't know unless I tried. 

And WOWZERS, I'm so glad I gave it a try. With my homemade tangy barbecue recipe on hand and this beautiful, lean venison stew meat, we ended up with an irresistibly tender pulled venison. Who would've though? Browning the meat in a skillet is key to developing the best flavor before transferring the meat to the crockpot. Then, that slow cooker does all the work for the next few hours. Once the venison is falling apart, a pair of forks does the rest of a work. I can't wait to try this again! 

Barbecue Pulled Venison Recipe
Makes 4 servings 

Ingredients
1 pound venison stew meat
salt 
pepper
1/2 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced

Directions
Preheat a large skillet to medium high heat. Once heated, add in stew meat, sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and brown on each side. 

Spray a 4 quart slow cooker with non-stick spray and add cooked meat. Stir in barbecue sauce, onion, and garlic. Cook on high 6 hours. Using two forks pull each piece of meat apart until evenly shredded. 


--


No comments:

Post a Comment