Saturday, March 19, 2011

Salsa from Canned Tomatoes

IMG_5457

I am still absolutely in love with the homemade-with-tomatoes-from-my-garden Salsa Recipe, but for the months when tomatoes are not in season, this recipe is top shelf amazing. I don't know how I never thought of this before, but using canned diced tomatoes is brilliant and delicious. I'm fairly certain I'm never going to be buying the over-cooked, mushy-tomato version of most store-bought salsa. 

Fresh (ish) and totally healthy! 

Canned Tomato Salsa
Yields 24 oz salsa

Ingredients
2--14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes with chilis, drained
OR 1--14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with chilis plus 1--14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (to reduce heat)

1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar (apple cider, red wine or balsamic)
pepper

Directions
Pour all ingredients into a 7 cup food processor. Pulse to desired consistency. Transfer to a glass storage container. (I save and wash my formerly-store-bought 24 oz. salsa jars--they're the perfect size.)

----
don't miss a recipe. subscribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment