Saturday, September 11, 2010

Perfectly Scrambled Eggs


Most everyone loves scrambled eggs. 
They are such a simple food and a blank slate for so many recipes. 
But sometimes you just want eggs. 
And you want them to be delicious.
And you think, "Scrambled eggs are super easy to make, right?"
Well, yes and no.

I've been scrambling eggs since I could see over the egg of the stove. 
And I grew up with my dad's version of scrambled eggs--microwaved.
Most people would probably think of microwaved eggs as kind of weird, they hold a special place in my heart--
reminding me of those nights when no one could think of what to make for dinner besides breakfast!

In the last couple years, I've made eggs for Kevin and I many times.
But something wasn't right. 
They weren't perfectly delicious--moist, fluffy, tasty. 
They were just cooked eggs. 

But I've since discovered the secret to perfectly scrambled eggs. 
A wooden spoon
I've tried spatulas and whisks and pancake flippers and every tool in between, but the age-old wooden spoon is where. it's. at. 
Try it. You won't be sorry. 

Ingredients
4-6 large eggs
2-3 splashes of milk
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Heat a large non-stick skillet to medium low heat. In a large bowl, break eggs. Using a fork or a whisk, briskly beat the eggs. Add milk, a splash or two (don't want white eggs!). Once skillet is heated (when a drop of water sizzles), pour in the eggs. 


Sprinkle in salt and pepper. Using a wooden spoon (I have found this is the KEY!), stir eggs in a figure eight fashion, being sure to scrape the edges. 


Let set for a 30 seconds at a time in between stirs. (You don't want the eggs to form an omelet.) 




Stir until eggs are beautifully scrambled, still moist (dry eggs are a no-no), but not runny! 


Sprinkle with extra salt and pepper if desired and enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment