Sunday, September 5, 2010

Garlic Thyme Skillet Potatoes


We love garlic.
And onions.
Almost everything I make starts out with those two ingredients.
I believe Rachael and Giada would be proud.

Another food staple in our home is potatoes.
Those darn root vegetables are so amazingly versatile.
Breakfast, lunch, dinner.
Smash them, boil them, stick 'em in a stew.
Fry them, cube them, slice 'em up for you.
(couldn't resist a little rhyme.)
Last night I threw together those three ingredients along with green peppers and sliced sausage and voila! We had a delicious dinner.

Kevin wanted the same thing today for lunch, but something in me won't allow it
(unless, of course, all of my creative juices are drained.)
So I did a similar potato dish,
threw in some thyme
(I knew it's lemony flavor would perfectly accent the Tilapia)
and served with veggies and fish.
It was healthy, nutritious and easy.



serves 2-3 (as a side dish)
Ingredients
1 Tbsp canola or extra virgin olive oil 
3 small red skinned (or other) potato
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 small onion, sliced thin 
salt
pepper
dried thyme 

Directions
Wash and scrub potatoes thoroughly. Heat large skillet to medium-low heat and drizzle with oil. When a drop of water lightly sizzles in the oil, add garlic and onions (be careful! You don't want to burn the garlic and it happens so easily! Keep the pan at a low sizzle.) Meanwhile, dice potatoes--the smaller the dice the quicker they cook. (I like mine at 1/2 or 3/4 inch squares.) After 2-3 minutes of cooking the garlic and onions, add potatoes in a single layer. Season generously with pepper and salt. Cover for five minutes. Stir, being sure to flip potatoes to cook opposite sides. Continue cooking (I leave the lid off at this point) for 10 more minutes or until the potato is perfectly cooked (soft enough without being mushy.) 

Serve with...well...practically anything! Tonight we had ours with sautéed Tilapia and broccoli.  

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I used to oven roast, but they stuck to the pan too much, so I switched to skillet. And this is one of those dishes I think every home cook should have in their repertoire. As you said, you can serve it with just about anything AND you can change it up, herb-wise, depending on your mood or what's on the plate next to it.

    ReplyDelete