Friday, August 28, 2009

Oatmeal Cookies



I have always preferred a "pure" oatmeal cookie to one including raisins...or even chocolate chips. I love the texture of the oats combined with the spice of the cinnamon. De double licious. I have just one "plain" oatmeal cookie recipe so I wanted to try a new one--especially since I think the recipe I have used for years and years is a little too heavy on the margarine. I came across this recipe at Simply Recipes and new I had to try it. When the name "Grandma" is used in the title of a recipe it almost always a positive indication of greatness.

I loved the result! Perfect amount of cinnamon. Perfect combination of softness and chewiness and crispness. Kevin gave them an 8 out of 10 and described them as "fabulous." His favorite oatmeal cookie though was the thicker variety: Soft & Chewy Oatmeal Cookies (Oh, and apparently this means I actually have two "plain" oatmeal cookie recipes. Sorry for pretty much lying before.) I hope you enjoy!

Ingredients
1 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp cinnamon
3 cups oat (use Quaker Quick or Old Fashioned. NOT instant.)
3/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional

Cream shortening and sugars, add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
Sift flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Add to first mixture and mix well. Add raisins (if using) and nuts. Add oats last.
Spoon out by rounded tablespoonfuls on to greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350°F. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.



No comments:

Post a Comment