Monday, February 11, 2013

Anadama Bread Recipe (Bread Machine)

IMG_4469

Anadama Bread was a new term for me, but when I saw the recipe in an old bread machine book I had, I knew I wanted to give it a try. Molasses was listed in the ingredients and though it's not normally an ingredient I would think of adding to bread, I was almost certain Kevin and I would enjoy eating this fresh made loaf. 

Sure enough! The slices are moist and chock full of the characteristic molasses flavor. I love toasting my piece, spreading thick with butter and sprinkling (*generously*) with cinnamon-sugar. 


Anadama Bread
recipe adapted from Bread Machine Bounty (BHG)
Makes 1 (1-1/2 pound) loaf

Ingredients
1-1/4 cup water
1/4 cup molasses
3 Tbsp shortening or margarine
3 cups flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp yeast

Directions
Combine ingredients in bread machine bowl in the order listed. Use the dough cycle (or white bread bake cycle.) When cycle is complete turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a large rectangle, roughly 9 inches wide, and begin rolling into a loaf, pinching together after each turn. Place in a greased 9x5 inch pan and let rise in a warm place for 30-45 minutes, or until risen 1 inch above the edge of the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 22 minutes (or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped). Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing. 

Serve with butter, or honey, or jam. 



1 comment:

  1. A list of the traditional and area of expertise loaf of bread machine dishes reads like a bread-bakery menu: Wheat, caraway rye, sourdough, corn jalapeño, potato rosemary and more. Other fun options include rolls, pizza crust, loaf of bread bowls and sticky buns. Antique watches Medal products for example Harvest Full Better just for Loaf of bread Flour assure all your dishes come out of the loaf of bread machine ideal. Zojirushi Bread Machine

    ReplyDelete