Friday, January 21, 2011

Garlic Hummus

IMG_2821

Snacks can't get any better than hummus and freshly sliced vegetables. Hummus is a beautiful Middle-eastern creation that combines chick peas with garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and tahini (sesame seeds paste). It is chock full of fiber and protein--keeping you full and satisfied for a long time without leaving you any guilt whatsoever. 

I can whip up a batch of hummus in about 10 minutes from the moment I open the can to the time I dunk the first veggie stick. I have chosen to omit the tahini--mostly because I never have any on hand and also because it doesn't seem to be 100% necessary. There's no reason to not try making your own hummus today! 

Garlic Hummus

Ingredients
1-15 oz can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained
1-2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
pepper
chili powder
oregano
1/4-1/2 cup water (and/or liquid from the canned beans)

Directions
In the bottom of a food processor or blender dump beans, garlic, oil, lemon juice, pepper, chili powder, and oregano. Pulse to combine. Set food processor to "blend" and begin pouring in additional water in a slow stream until hummus comes together in a smooth, thick paste. 

Serve with sliced vegetables, tortilla or pita chips. 

Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. 

3 comments:

  1. I just got a food processor for Christmas and I am SO excited to make hummus and nut butters in it. I have a list of about 10 things I want to make already :-) this is totally on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may sound crazy but try cooking your own chickpeas from dried. I think it makes an amazing taste difference in my hummus and it's super easy (and likely much cheaper, too!).

    Throw the dried (but rinsed) chickpeas (1#) into your crockpot, cover with about 5 cups of hot water (just from the tap, not boiling), cook on low for 5-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours. I cook any type of dry bean this way. I love not having to pre-soak or do the quick soak method and they turn out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When it comes to the kitchen, I generally boarder on the line of disaster (unless it comes to grilled cheese), but I whipped up some of this hummus and Matthew and I loved it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete