Monday, August 30, 2010

Whole Grain Granola Bars


If you're looking for a hearty, healthy granola bar then look no further.
Though I had to be all "Melanie" about it and mess with the original recipe, these are still "yum!"
If you're looking for a candy-bar-esque granola bar this probably definitely isn't your thing.
In fact, because I went all creative with the recipe it turned out a little dry for my taste. I added half peanut butter in place of half the honey--I think that could be the biggest source of the problem. That, and I didn't have wheat germ on hand so I used ground flax seed and possibly the grinding resulted in soaking up what moisture there would have been. All that to say, I'll need to give these a second change...with more a legalistic approach to the original recipe. I guess I'm not always perfect in the kitchen after all. ;)



Granola Bar Recipe adapted from raisingolives.com.

Ingredients
2 cups rolled oats
½ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup wheat germ (I used flax seed, ground)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup raisins or other mix-ins (optional)
¾ teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey (I used 1/4 cup honey and 1/4 cup peanut butter, melted)
1 egg, beaten
½ cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9×13 baking dish.

In a large bowl mix together oats, brown sugar, flax seed, cinnamon, flour, raisins (or other mix-ins, if using), and salt. Make a well in the center and add the honey, peanut butter, beaten egg, oil, and vanilla extract. Mix well. Pat the mixture evenly into the baking dish.

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the edges are beginning to turn golden. Cool for 5 minutes and then cut into bars and remove from dish WHILE STILL WARM. Well unless you want to chip it out and use the crumbled pieces for ice cream topping. In that case, just let it cool as long as you wish.

Some substitutions: Olive or peanut or coconut oil rather than canola oil. Regular flour for the whole wheat. Omitting the flax seed or substituting with wheat germ. Add any dried fruit, coconut shavings, sunflower seeds, nuts or even chocolate chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment