Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Spicy Ranch Patty Melts


Yesterday was a long hard day. I didn't really want to spend an hour and a half in the kitchen making dinner but I am SO GLAD I did.  This was on the menu plan and I was craving a good burger and fries (minus the grease and grossness).  Because I had no hamburger buns nor did I have the time to make my own, I thought the patty melt would be the solution to my problems. I had this picture all developed in my mind of exactly how this patty melt would taste alongside my new recipe for Oven Fries.  I was SO hoping it would meet my expectations especially after all the time and work I spent in the kitchen throwing this and the fries together.  

This burger was AMAZING.  The best grilled sandwich I've ever had.  Take that Steak 'N Shake!  Seriously, you HAVE to try this! 



Ingredients
for the burger patties:
1/2 pound ground beef (90/10)
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup bread crumbs
salt
pepper 

for the sandwich:
1/4 onion, sliced into thin rings
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 jalapeno, thinly sliced
4 slices sandwich bread (of your choice)
margarine/butter, for spreading 
Muenster (or other) cheese, sliced thinly 

for the dressing:
2 Tbsp Ranch dressing
2 tsp hot sauce 

Directions
Combine ground beef, bread crumbs and beaten egg (start with adding half, add more if desired) and salt and pepper.  Mix together with your hands, being careful not to overwork.  Divide meat in half and form two large flat hamburger patties.  Set aside. 

Heat a large skillet to medium and add oil to the pan (twice around the pan.)  When oil is hot, add onions, garlic and peppers. Cook until softened.  Remove veggies from the pan and set aside.  

Using the same pan over medium high heat, cook patties 4-5 minutes per side (to desired done-ness). Set patties aside. 

Use the same skillet or a large griddle  and preheat to medium low.  In a small bowl stir together ranch and hot sauce. Butter one side of each slice of bread.  Place butter side down on preheated skillet.  Spread with spicy ranch dressing.  Add the cooked hamburger patty, then garlic/onion/pepper mixture, then top with desired amount of sliced cheese.  Place the second slice of buttered bread (butter side out) on top.  Cook for 4-5 minutes (low and slow) until crispy and golden brown. Flip and repeat.  

Serve with Oven Baked Fries


No comments:

Post a Comment