Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Southwestern Chicken/Chili

Yesterday morning I wanted to get a meal in the crockpot before leaving for work. (Yes I actually went to work yesterday...filling in at the office I worked for in December.) Anyways, I had two separate recipes I had been wanting to try--one from my pastor's wife for Arizona Chicken Chili and one from my mom for Southwestern Chicken. I was leaning more toward the latter recipe but didn't want to use all of our salsa up (because it's one of my few gluten-free foods in the house). So...I looked at the two recipes, decided which ingredients would work together, added a few of my own, and came up with this:



In 3-5 qt. crockpot combine:
1 can whole kernal corn, drained
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained & rinsed
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
5 jalepeno rings (only if you want spice)
3 garlic cloves, pressed
1/4 C. onion, chopped (more or less depending on your taste)

Stir that mixture thoroughly. Then place 2-3 small uncooked boneless skinless chicken breasts on top--coating lightly with the corn-tomato-bean mixture from below. (I defrosted one large chicken breast and sliced in half--made a lateral incision--leaving me with two thinner equal proportioned pieces.)

Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Sprinkle with cheese and serve with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment